-Sparkle organza for the ruffles
White, Light Pink, Flamingo Pink (my nod to Shawna Trpcic)
-White cotton poplin for the skirt base and bodice lining
-White embroidered poly organza for the bodice
-Pink vintage silk sari for the sleeves
Trims (All w/# are from M&J Trimming)
– 02115 – Pink 15mm Organdy – for under the buttons
– 02125 – Pink 25mm Organdy – For the edge of the peplum and sleeves
– 02138 – Pink 38mm Organdy – for the ‘belt’ on the bodice
– 41524 – Pink Ruffle Organdy – for the ruffles on the bodice
– 13037 – 13mm White Bridal Buttons
– Pink and green gaudy tassel trim (from Hobby Lobby)
– Pink chainette fringe – currently not on dress as I’m still knotting it.
– I chose organza for the ruffles because that is what I believe to have been used. See the above image. That is definitely not chiffon.
– I recommend draping a pattern for your skirt OVER the hoop and petticoat you intend to use under it. I have since gone and expanded the skirt since I acquired a new petticoat. It’s SO FLUFFY!
- The white ruched part of the bodice at the front is actually twice as long as the lining, ruched, and then serged onto the lining fabric.
- Originally I had made a belt of the wide organdy ribbon doubled over and sewn into the bodice, but I hated the look. I went back and made a belt using the sari fabric with the lighter pink organza over it. It currently closes with velcro.
- A serger is your best friend on this. Instead of folding over the ends and sewing them with a blind hem, I roll hemmed the edges. I need them to be durable (I’ve worn this dress in the Dragon*Con parade) and easy to repair if needed. So far this is working out quite well! Also if you look at the above image, the layers appear to have a rolled hem as well.
- The overskirt has about 50-60 yards of ruffles. There are EIGHT layers of ruffles: 2 White, 3 Light Pink, 3 Darker Pink. The top white “layer” is actually the peplum on the bodice.
- GET A RUFFLING FOOT! They will make the pleats on your ruffles even and then make it so much easier to sew onto the skirt. I actually ended up sewing all of the layers on by hand, but that didn’t hurt my feelings.
- Take. Your. Time. I cannot stress that enough. I got so fed up with this project it sat at about 80% for three weeks. I thankfully had a con coming up in 2010 that made me decide to go ahead and finish it.
Here it is, the costume that definitely enhanced my skills… The dress that took two months (well, mostly a month and some breathing time) to finish. The shiny of shinies! Very sorry, because this one is SUPER IMAGE HEAVY! 🙂
v1.0 – GMX 2010
V1.5 – Conglomeration 2011 (Larger hoop skirt)
V2.0 – With larger hoop and huge crinoline underneath!