Dalek Ballgown

Series : Doctor Who
Variant : Gold and brown ballgown
Date : 2016
Made For : Gallifrey One 2016
Status : SOLD
Also Worn : N/A

Updates : Due to significant weight loss, the gown no longer fits me. It has since been sold.

About the Costume: The bodice and skirt are constructed with gold and brown taffeta. The bodice pattern was drafted by me, based on what I originally made for my Thor costume (with some mods). The gold bars on the bodice are made from gold taffeta bias tape that I made and sewn on . The brown edging is bias tape that I made from the brown taffeta. The entire bodice is lined with brown denim and it is lightly boned with duct ties cut and sanded down into shape. The skirt is based off of Simplicity 1215 (Box pleated skirts are THE WORST!), and thankfully Andrea Schewe has made the Frozen pattern to help with those evil pleats. However, I ended up taking out the 10th gold panel since it was huge. The outer panels are backed with buckram for stability.

The finished skirt sits over a black 3 bone hoop skirt with a LED strip attached along the bottom, attached via 12v battery pack with 8 AA batteries that fits into a pocket I sewed into the hoop skirt. The chest piece velcros on and is a LED tap light that I painted black and frosted the clear part of.

The dome lights are 3oz plastic shooters that I used frost paint inside. The “metal” parts are worbla that are shaped and painted and the lights are LED tea lights.

The balls / bumps were made with 3″ smooth styrofoam half balls that were sealed with ModPodge, then painted with four layers of metallic gold acrylic. They were then sealed again with ModPodge, to give them a semi-gloss appearance. The balls are held on with industrial velcro on both the skirt and balls themselves so that I can wash the skirt and also replace bumps as necessary.

We would destroy the Cybermen with one Dalek! You’re superior in only one respect…

Costume Gallery

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Progress Photos

This slideshow requires JavaScript.